Wednesday, June 6

Paru-paro

Paru-paro is a Tagalog term for butterfly. When I was in Gasan Marinduque, I had an opportunity to witness (again) how butterflies are breed. Although I’ve seen the whole life cycle of butterflies with accompanying film showing at Butterfly Garden in Palawan (entrance fee costs: P15), I wouldn’t mind seeing it again. At least I got to see it for free. My Aunt Salve had a small cage in her backyard for breeding butterflies. It’s such a fascinating transformation and indeed lovely to capture in the photos.

It seems that breeding butterflies has now become a major source of income in Marinduque that used to be predominantly coconut industry. Marinduque is a typhoon frequented province. This made it difficult for the coconut industry to make progress hence, this shift in industry.

My Aunt Salve would sell a piece of butterfly between 7 to 10 pesos. From what I’ve heard, the middleman gains more by selling it at 14 pesos.

Please click this link paru-paro to see more pictures.

No comments: